Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Simple Podcast Recipe


Are you looking to spice it up in your classroom? If so, you have come to the right place.  I have compiled a recipe for podcasting just for you.  This simple recipe includes mostly staple ingredients that you should have close at hand.  Gather up the ingredients and follow the instructions and you will be on your way to creating your very own podcast.  As always, when you come across a great recipe don’t forget to share with your students and friends.  Happy creating.



Learning About the Tool

I was quite excited to see podcasting on the list of our web 2.0 tools to explore in EDES 501 because I have not had a lot of experience with podcasting, and as a result my students have not created podcasts either. 
Like most people, when I have questions and want to learn more about something I look to research, read publications and books published in the area, and immerse myself in the learning.  If you are looking to extend your learning and understanding about podcasts read the following books: Choosing Web 2.0 Tools for Learning and Teaching in a Digital World by Pam Berger, Web 2.0 new tools, new schools by Gwen Solomon, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and other powerful Web Tools for classrooms by Will Richardson, and Teaching with the Tools Kids Really Use by Susan Brooks-Young.  Each book offered different perspectives, links, exemplars, ideas, and new understandings.   Using the knowledge I gleaned from the variety of sources I read, I was ready to play and create.


Step 1: Gather Ingredients
 I already had the necessary items to start podcasting, although my microphone was purchased from the dollar store and the quality is not exactly professional. I may look at investing into a better quality microphone. 


Step 2: Put content in Bowl, Add Purpose and Let Stand
I am on the SYRCA Snow Willows committee and I am part of a group that reads and nominates the books for YA readers. As a teacher-librarian in Saskatoon Public Schools I also promote the Willows books to the students in my school. This being my first year being a TL, I am exploring ways in which I can promote the books, and how the students can respond to the books that they have read. I have considered using voicethread, and Animoto but had not considered using podcasts.  It dawned on me that I could use podcasts as a way to promote the books, and this could also be a platform that would enable the students to share what they have read.  I decided to create a book talk and a podcast teaser that would promote one of the Snow Willows books, Libertad. Libertad is a book in verse and it was not difficult to find an excerpt that flowed and left the reader wanting more.


Step 3: Record and Edit Using Audacity

I have used Audacity in the past but I had never really taken the time to play with it. Since I was using a cheap microphone I found that I had a lot of feedback. I used the noise removal option that got rid of a lot of the feedback.  I also experimented with the other effects and was amazed at what they could do.



Step 4: Locate Copyright Free Sounds

This was not an easy task as a lot of websites advertise that they have free sounds/music but then you have to sign up for an account and you only receive 10 free downloads. I found that Joyce Valenza had one of the most comprehensive lists. . As always Richard Byrne has a useful blog post, 7 sources of free Sounds for Multimedia Projects  and he just recently added http://www.jewelbeat.com/ .  

Step 5: Upload to a Server

After recording on Audacity I had to download LAME so that I could export my file as an MP3.  I am not aware of our school having a webserver, and I knew that I wanted to be able to embed my podcast into my blog. I decided to ask google and this is what I found:


After discovering the following information, I decided to go with the Internet Archive because it was simple and free. Being able to quickly embed a file into a blog post is an added feature because I may want to highlight something specifically on my blog and this is not difficult to do. Here is the player that you can embed into your blog straight from Internet Archive.



Step 6: Locate Hosting Service and Publish Podcast

I compared the following podcasting hosting services: Pod-o-matic, PodPress, Podbean, Odeo, and OurMedia.  I found that the best hosting service for my purpose was Podbean because it was free, and it can be easily embedded into a blog, and there is a dashboard/webpage that allows you to view, organize, and share all of your podcasts using this interface. This was a winning factor for me as I can see myself using this in the library.

                       
   
Powered by Podbean.com


I am glad that I took some advice from Will Richardson who mentions in his book Wiki's, Blogs, Podcasts, and other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms the importance of trying out the technology before asking your students to begin creating (Richardson, 2010). I feel more comfortable now and have a better understanding about what this tool can do and what needs to be done before trying it in the classroom or library.


Podcasting in Real Life
 I, like most grad students don’t find a lot of extra time in my day to watch T.V. My husband and I don’t watch T.V often and so we don’t invest in cable T.V.  Instead, we have our computer hooked up to the T.V and stereo and we get our movies from Netflix and itunes.  Often times we will listen to a podcast as we are preparing supper, cleaning, or doing other activities. Our favourite podcast to listen to is, “Stuff You Should Know.”   What I like about podcasts is that they are like the radio but you can listen to it on your own time, on your ipod, through your phone, and in your car. There are podcasts to meet the needs of people both young and old, and there are podcasts about almost any topic you can imagine. 

Podcasting in the K-12 Classroom

The AASL’s Standards for 21st Century learnersoutlines skills, dispositions, responsibilities, and self assessment strategies that are fundamental for our students to thrive in the 21st century.  As I consider ways to incorporate podcasting in the classroom I must keep the purpose of the tool in mind. Podcasting encourages students to:

1.2.3: Demonstrate creativity by using multiple resources and formats.
2.1.6: Use the writing process, media and visual literacy, and technology skills to create products that express new understandings.
2.2.4: Demonstrate personal and other informational tools to organize and display knowledge and understanding in ways that others can view, use, and assess. 
3.1.6: Use information and technology ethically and responsibly
3.3.5: Contribute to the exchange of ideas within and beyond the learning community.
4.1.8: Use creative and artistic formats to express personal learning. 

Podcasting for the sake of podcasting, does not extend our students thinking, allow them to think critically, or to become ethical users of technology. Podcasts can be a platform for our students to think critically, or to become ethical users of technology. Podcasts can be a platform for our students to compare, make judgements, showcase creativity, share new understandings, and to record their reflections about their inquiries or the process and what that means.  As I consider ways to incorporate podcasts in the classroom I must consider what added value the technology is giving to students learning.  

There are many podcasts available, in a variety of subject areas, for our students to listen to, think about, make judgements, and respond to.



Pandora  Podcast Series: sponsored by the radio site Pandora (lets you personalize your own playlists) Some examples of these unique podcasts are: word choice in lyrics and hip hop rhyme scheme.

How Stuff Works:  Learn about a range of subjects.

 The Adventures of Dr.Floyd: An old time radio drama 

Where in the World: Geography quiz

Kathy Schrock has an excellent website and links to resources that includes the how to of podcasting in the classroom, and key questions for students to focus on when evaluating podcasts. The podcasts mentioned above could be used to promote podcasts, and as exemplars to analyze and evaluate what makes a good podcast.  Students should consider the following criteria: authority, accuracy, bias, availability. Producing and comparing their own work to others will allow students to gain valuable perspectives about communicating effectively, their own abilities and creativity, and the accuracy and reliability of information.

Some "big ideas" to center podcasts around, in any subject area, are:
  • Describe current events and the impact they are having on the world and what it means to a student in Canada.
  • Share opinions about what they have read and either defend or debate the main idea
  • Consider the other side of the story
  • Express an opinion or stance someone might take on a topic
  • How can music and sound effects add to or detract from the message 
Berger and Trexler state that there are many advantages and reasons to use web based media tools such as podcasts because they " create an environment of active participants, encourage self expression and creativity, promote differentiated instruction, and incorporate various media for differentiation" (2010, p. 127). In conclusion, podcasting can support student learning and inquiry based instruction.


Teacher-Librarian and Learning Leader

I know that social media plays an important role in 21st century libraries. I have considered and planned on using a wide variety of web 2.0 tools to promote the library, books, and reading. Interestingly enough,  I had never considered podcasting as an option. Richardson (2010) says that students in elementary schools still seem to love podcasting, but it is the older kids that have moved on to video. Despite this shift, I think that there is still a place for podcasting in the library setting.

As a new teacher-librarian who is looking for ways to promote the library, and have students become more involved, podcasts are a good place to start. I mentioned earlier that  I created an account with podbean.com and with the account comes a web address where podcasts can be stored and viewed.  Both the students and I could contribute book reviews, teasers, and excerpts from our favorite books. We could simply link the podcasting site to the school blog or wiki.

Nancy Keane has one of the most comprehensive list of podcasts called Booktalkers Daily Podcasts.
I could easily see some keen students wanting and willing to create a podcast about their favorite part of a book, or an interesting scene or description of a character.  This year we are looking at ways to get students excited about reading and I am looking forward to trying out podcasting. I am going to spend more time considering ways in which to use podcasting to create a participatory culture in my school and library.

I came across a comprehensive site, All Things Podcasting, that includes links to: podcast creation guides, audio and video tours, mobile podcasting,  text to podcasts, podcasts to text, live podcasting, podcast searches and forums, and podcast creation software. 

Teaching with, creating, and sharing podcasts also allows teacher-librarians yet another opportunity to emphasize the importance of copyright, how to use and access creative commons, and digital citizenship. To assist in the process of locating copyright free music and sound effects it would be useful to create a pathfinder or wiki to be able to share the links with students.

I have found that as a former middle/high school teacher I am not as familiar with children's picture books. I came across the podcast, Chatting About Books: Recommendations for Young Readers K-5. I can listen to Emily's podcasts as I commute to work everyday instead of listening to the radio.

                                                                



Learning Community

The International Reading Association has podcasts and webinars available called Class Acts: Ideas for Teaching Reading and Writing. I plan on sharing these podcasts, along with the one mentioned earlier, with colleagues and other teacher-librarians. I also came across another useful resource, Podcasting 101 for K-12 Librarians, that I could share with other TL's in my division who may be interested in podcasting and I will be sure to direct them to David Warlick's Education Podcast Network.

My role as publications counsellor for the Saskatchewan School Library Association may soon include blogging about books for our association. I may experiment with podcasts as a way of reviewing and sharing books with other teacher-librarians in the province and beyond.  As I continue to ponder on how this could be used in other ways in the TL community I must remember that one can learn not only from listening to podcasts, but also through creating them.

My podcasting recipe will be added to the web 2.0 cookbook of tried, tested, and true recipes to use in the classroom, library, and even in my personal life.

References

Berger,P & Trexler, S (2010). Choosing Web 2.0 tools for Learning and Teaching in a Digital World. Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited.

Armstrong, G., Tucker, J., & Massad, V. (2009). Interviewing the Experts: Student Produced Podcast. Journal of Information Technology Education, 8IIP-79-IIP-90. Retrieved from Academic Search Complete database.

Richardson, Will (2010). Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classroom. Thousand Oaks: CA: Corwin Press. 










2 comments:

  1. Hey Tamzen:

    I enjoyed your recipe for podcasting. I sort of did the formulaic thing on mine. I think that we're both making a similar point. We're just showing how easy it really is to get going on the podcasting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Chatting About Books podcasts. I didn't know about these. Such a fun post with so much info packed in.
    Thanks,
    Franki

    ReplyDelete